Monday, February 28, 2011

Bannack - Freeze/ Blur Action

Snow
Tuesday, February 22, 2011; 1pm; Bannack, Montana
f/4; 1/1250; Canon EOS T2i; 70-200mm f/4L@126mm

Ghost
Tuesday, February 22, 2011; 2pm; Bannack, Montana
f/13; 10"; Canon EOS T2i; 17-40mm f/4L@17mm

To capture the action, I increased my shutter speed to 1/1250 and took the shot outside when there was plenty of light.  I turned my camera onto burst mode and took several pictures in a sequence as the snow fell.  To capture the ghostly picture, I set my camera on a table (forgot the tripod) and left the shutter open for 10 seconds.  To compensate for the massive amount of light being let in, I turned the aperture down to f/13.  On each picture, I increased the temperature, added a hint of blue to the shadows and a hint of yellow to the highlights.  I also used the adjustment brush in camera raw to lighten their faces.  I added a flexible vignette to give a burned edge effect and increased the contrast.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Max! Great job with your Bannack shots. For starters, I really like your portrait of Rachel. You really have a talent for taking pictures of people. The coloring and lighting in that picture is beautiful. In addition, I really liked your HDR of the "Quill". The texture that was brought out on the desk really adds an antique feel to the image. Lastly, I adored your action freeze and blur photos. Your ghost picture is by far the creepiest I have seen. Did you use and extra light source? Either way, the photo has great composition. In addition, your "Snow" picture looks so fun and natural. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max,
    I also think that your ghost picture is quite creepy. A superb example of good raw editing. And your snow motion capture picture was great. You are able to capture quite a bit of color in your photos. Good job!

    ReplyDelete