Monday, February 14, 2011

Edge Effects

Brushed-on Effect

Before:
Hillary
Saturday, February 12, 2011; 2pm; Rexburg, Idaho
f/4; 1/640; Canon EOS T2i; 70-200mm f/4L@154mm

I took this image and cropped it. I then deleted the image and chose the history brush.  I started with a large brush with a low opacity and painted over most of the model to slightly bring back the image.  I continued to do this three more times, each time using a smaller brush and increasing the opacity a bit more.  By the end, my brush was at 100% opacity and I was focusing on the face.  I then took that brush and cleaned up the edges of the brush strokes.
Flexible Vignette with white stroke


Before:
 Hillary and Lisa
Saturday, February 12, 2011; 3pm; Rexburg, Idaho
f/1.4; 1/1000; Canon EOS T2i; 50mm f/1.4

I added a flexible vignette to this image by adding a new green layer in photoshop.  I put that over the image, then made a selection on the green layer.  I deleted that to let the image show through.  I then decreased the opacity on that layer.  Then I selected the image layer with the box still selected.  I then used the stroke tool to add a 5pt white stroke to the box.


Flexible Brushed-on Effect


Before:
 Hillary
Saturday, February 12, 2011; 2pm; Rexburg, Idaho
f/1.4; 1/4000; Canon EOS T2i; 50mm f/1.4

To create this effect, I added a white layer over the image.  I then added a mask to that layer.  Then I started with a large brush with the color as black with a low opacity and painted over most of the model to slightly bring back the image.  I continued to do this three more times, each time using a smaller brush and increasing the opacity a bit more.  By the end, my brush was at 100% opacity and I was focusing on the face.  I then took that brush and cleaned up the edges of the brush strokes.

3 comments:

  1. You always have such great edits. I love what you did with your edge effects for this assignment. I especially like the way you did the brushed on effect with the first picture. The composition is really cool. I did this same effect, but it was hard for me to get the composition how I wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always impressed with your photos. You do great work every week. I like your edits this week, especially the first one. It genuinely looks like it was painted on. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your portraits are incredible. I love the edge effect on Hillary, but the portrait quality is just amazing. Wow, beautiful work! I think I need to put the one of Hillary up in the Deans' pics for the portrait week. It is my favorite portrait this semester, by far! Your piranha scans are very cool too :)

    ReplyDelete